A lively, balanced wine full of peaches and cream, lemon zest and green apple.
TASTING NOTE: An appealing nose that is fruit driven and lifted. Peach, pineapple and Granny Smith all sing out, adequately supported by a subtle nutty aroma which adds a whisper of savouriness. The palate is generous, round and unctuous through the first half then takes on a more refined, almost saline, line and length. One can almost sense the sunshine in the glass. Well considered oak sits in the background, adding more texturally than anything else, perhaps a fine hint of cedar but certainly nothing sweet. Ready to go the moment you open the bottle, no need to wait. Best served a few degrees above fridge temperature to take advantage of those wonderful fruits and the generous texture.
WINEMAKING: Small batches of grapes are gently crushed, chilled and then transferred to specially designed steel basket presses. Gentle extraction of the juice is critical in these early stages to retain the delicate fruit characters. To add complexity and mouthfeel, 60% of the wine is fermented and matured in old French oak for seven months, with the remaining 40% aged in stainless steel. None of the white wines at d’Arenberg are subject to malolactic fermentation as we aim for the retention of fresh, natural acidity, which is integral to the balance and longevity of the wine.
BEHIND THE NAME: Witches Berry is a weed that grows in the vineyards. Italian women once put the juice of the berry in their eyes which dilated their pupils, making them appear darker and more beautiful.